This report has benefited from advice from a number of individuals and organisations with interest and expertise in understanding the reporting of hospital costs and relative efficiency.
The National Health Performance Authority established the Cost per Weighted Separation Stakeholder Advisory Committee to provide advice around clinical and administrative aspects of this work. The committee members were:
- Associate Professor Brian McCaughan AM (Chairman), Cardiothoracic Surgeon
- Dr Stephen Duckett, Grattan Institute
- Ms Christine Gunson, Consumer Representative
- Mr Lynton Norris, Chief Executive Officer, National Health Funding Body
- Mr Neville Onley, NSW Ministry of Health
- Dr Ian Scott, Director, Department of Internal Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology, Princess Alexandra Hospital
- Dr Tony Sherbon*, Chief Executive Officer, Independent Hospital Pricing Authority
- Professor Diane Twigg, Professor of Nursing, Edith Cowan University
- Mr Ian Wright, Executive Director Finance and Business Services, West Moreton Hospital and Health Service.
The Performance Authority also established the Cost per Weighted Separation Technical Advisory Committee to learn from experts working in this area across Australia. The committee members were:
- Associate Professor Terri Jackson, Principal Research Fellow, Northern Health (Vic) Clinical Research Centre and School of Population Health, University of Melbourne
- Mr James Downie, Executive Director, Activity Based Funding, Independent Hospital Pricing Authority
- Mr Efstathios Tsangaris, Director Hospital Costing, Independent Hospital Pricing Authority
- Dr Phuong Nguyen, Manager Funding Systems Development, Department of Health Victoria
- Mr Alfa D’Amato, Deputy Director, Activity Based Funding Taskforce, NSW Ministry of Health
- Mr Paul McGuire, Senior Director Funding and Resourcing Branch, Queensland Health
- Ms Jenny Hargreaves, Senior Executive, Hospitals, Resourcing and Classifications Group, Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
- Dr Adrian Webster, Unit Head, Expenditure and Workforce, Australian Institute of Health and Welfare.
Committee members did not have any role in the writing of this report.
The Authority received advice from its Jurisdictional Advisory Committee with regard to methods and content.
This report relies on data provided by state and territory governments. These data were used to calculate the performance measures in this report. The Authority conducts checks to ensure data quality and also relies on the data quality work of the AIHW and IHPA. The Authority provides jurisdictions with the opportunity to verify their data.
Thanks are extended to all those who contributed.